Diabetes is a very serious and dangerous disease that requires constant care. Along with the use of drug therapy, patients should lead a healthy lifestyle, quit addiction, and exercise. It is equally important to know what you can eat with diabetes, and what products you should completely refuse.
If there is a significant decrease in well-being, malaise, constant and, moreover, unquenchable thirst, xerostomia, frequent urination, itching of the skin, especially in the legs and groin area, you should immediately contact a doctor. endocrinologist and undergo examination. These symptoms signal the development of diabetes.
The disease is certainly dangerous and severe, but it is not a punishment. Many people live with disease. In order to normalize well-being, maintain normal blood sugar levels and get rid of unpleasant symptoms, you need to follow a special diet and know what you can eat with diabetes.
Pathology can develop both in adults and in children. Often the disease is diagnosed in pregnant women. With proper medication and a healthy diet, this disease can be controlled.
Non-compliance with medical recommendations, alcohol abuse, smoking, eating harmful food - all this harms the body and is fraught with critical consequences. Diet therapy is indicated for all types of pathology.
What can you drink with diabetes?
Most patients try to pay attention to their diet. They don't eat junk food and try to make meals as healthy and balanced as possible. But not everyone keeps track of what drinks they drink. Diabetics should not drink alcoholic beverages, store-bought juices, strong tea, kvass, sweet sodas.
If you want to drink, you should give preference to the following drinks:
- non-carbonated mineral water or pure water;
- unsweetened juice;
- weak tea;
- green tea;
- herbal decoctions and infusions;
- fresh juice (but only diluted);
- skimmed milk products.
Doctors do not recommend patients to drink coffee. But scientists have proven that coffee is rich in useful and necessary substances, including antioxidants that help prevent the development of tumors. They are rich in whole grains and linoleic acid, which prevents the development of heart attacks, strokes and other pathologies of the cardiovascular system. Therefore, you can drink coffee with diabetes, the main thing is coffee that is natural and without sugar.
Basic rules of healthy eating
Every diabetic, without exception, should know what to eat in the presence of diabetes. Eating all meals in a row is fraught with a decline in overall well-being.
Any diet, including diabetes, has its own characteristics and rules.
Diet therapy should:
- limit consumption of carbohydrate products;
- reduced calorie intake;
- use of fortified foods;
- five to six meals a day;
- eat at the same time;
- enrichment of the diet with natural vitamins - vegetables and fruits (with the exception of sweet ones, especially persimmons and dates);
- eat small meals;
- the exclusion of long intervals between meals;
- compiling the menu by considering the product GI;
- minimize salt intake;
- refusal to eat fatty, spicy, spicy, fried foods;
- refusal to use alcohol and sugary sodas, as well as snacks and fast food;
- replacing sugar with natural sweeteners: fructose, sorbitol, etc. ;
- the use of foods that are boiled, baked in the oven and steamed.
The right diet is the key to good health
Diabetics, regardless of the type of disease, should follow a proper and healthy diet:
- To keep insulin levels constant, you need a full breakfast.
- Every meal should start with a vegetable salad. It contributes to the normalization of metabolic processes and the correction of body weight.
- The last meal should be taken at least three hours before bedtime.
- The food you eat should be at a comfortable temperature. You can eat warm and moderately cold dishes with diabetes.
- The liquid can be taken half an hour before meals or after 30 minutes. Do not drink water or juice during meals.
- It's important to stick to a routine. Eating five to six times a day helps prevent a sharp rise in blood glucose levels.
- The diet should be enriched with low-fat fish, dairy products with a low percentage of fat content, vegetables and fruits, cereals.
- People with diabetes should give up sugar and any products that contain it.
- The optimal daily calorie content is 2400 kcal.
- It is also important to monitor the chemical composition of the dish. The share of complex carbohydrates in the daily diet is 50%, protein - 20%, fat - 30%.
- One and a half liters of pure water or non-carbonated mineral water should be consumed per day.
GI (glycemic index) - what is it?
Each product has its own IG. Otherwise it's called a "bread unit" - XE. And if the nutritional value determines how much of a useful substance will be converted into energy for the body, then the GI is an indicator of the digestibility of carbohydrate products. It shows how quickly carbohydrate products are absorbed, while increasing blood sugar levels.
What can diabetics eat when following a diet and table number 9
Many patients, upon hearing the word "diet", take it as a sentence. They believe that their diet will be kept to a minimum. In fact, everything is far from that. Diet therapy for a disease means limiting calorie intake, consuming complex carbohydrates and eliminating simple carbohydrates. Food can be therapeutic and delicious at the same time. You just need to know what diabetics can eat.
Eating the right foods will help in weight management and maintain normal insulin levels.
Patients are allowed to use the following products:
- From bread. Preferably dark bread or products intended for diabetics. The daily norm is 300 g. The use of wheat, whole wheat and "Borodino" bread is also allowed.
- Soup. It is desirable that the first dish be cooked in vegetable broth.
- Lean meats (beef, beef, rabbit, chicken) and fish: pike perch, carp, cod. Any method of preparation, only frying is excluded.
- Omelet and omelet. You can consume no more than one egg per day. Misuse of this product is fraught with an increase in cholesterol levels.
- Dairy products (low-fat milk, cottage cheese, kefir, condensed milk, fermented baked milk, natural yogurt).
- Cheese (no salt and low fat).
- Berries and fruits: grapefruit, raspberry, apple, kiwi. Their consumption helps not only in increasing sugar, but also in lowering the level of harmful cholesterol.
- Vegetables: cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, greens.
- Honey (limited).
- Beverages: juices, herbal preparations, mineral water.
All of these products can be eaten by diabetics. But the main thing is to observe size in everything. Food should not be greasy. You shouldn't drink alcohol either.
Products permitted for people with insulin-dependent forms
The pathology of the first type, or insulin-dependent diabetes, is characterized by severe symptoms, an acute course, and accompanied by an increase in appetite. In addition to insulin use, it is important to know what diabetics can eat. A properly formulated diet is the best way to maintain health and well-being.
The diet of diabetics with the first type of pathology is similar to the diet of patients with the second type. It is allowed to use: non-carbonated mineral water, low-fat seafood and fish, oatmeal and buckwheat, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, boiled eggs, diet meat.
Suffering from diabetes, it is necessary to lose weight at least once a month and a half, and once a week to adopt a buckwheat or kefir diet. This will contribute to the correction of body weight and prevent complications of the disease.
Table number 9 for pathology
Patients are most often prescribed to adhere to dietary table No. 9. The diet assumes six meals a day, excluding fatty, fried, spicy foods, smoked meats, salty foods and sweets. The energy value of the daily diet should not exceed 2500 kcal. Diabetics can eat cooked food in any way, except frying.
What not to do with diabetes: allowed and prohibited foods, sample menu
Everyone who suffers from a serious illness should know what not to do with diabetes. Misuse of dangerous products is fraught with harm.
The products presented in the list should be discarded:
- Sahara. It is recommended to replace it with sweetener.
- Burning. This type of food is not recommended. Apart from being rich in sugar, they are also high in calories, which is not very good for blood glucose levels.
- Fatty meat and fish products.
- Smoked and canned food. These products have a high glycemic index.
- Animal fat, mayonnaise.
- Milk with a high percentage of fat content.
- Semolina and cereal-based products, as well as pasta.
- Vegetables. You can not eat certain vegetables with diabetes, but if they do not work, you should limit their consumption as much as possible: potatoes, fried zucchini.
- Sweet fruits.
- Drinks: sweetened sodas, concentrated or store-bought juices, compotes, strong black tea.
- Snacks, grains, chips.
- Candy. With all types of diabetes, in particular gestational diabetes, the use of ice cream, jam, milk chocolate is prohibited.
- Alcoholic beverages.
Products allowed and prohibited:
Proper nutrition, along with insulin introduction, is the key to good health. Following a diet, as well as using drugs, the patient must throughout his life. This is the only way to maintain normal blood sugar levels. What to eat and what not to eat with diabetes.
Allowed to eat:
- pure water or mineral water;
- weak tea, coffee;
- mung beans;
- long beans;
- green vegetable;
- beans (peas, chickpeas, lentils);
- low-fat cheese;
- dairy products with a low percentage of fat content;
- low-fat boiled sausage;
- meat and fish products.
Forbidden to eat:
- alcoholic beverages;
- sweets (ice cream, jam, lollipops, cakes);
- canned food;
- smoked products and sausages;
- fatty meat and fish products;
- fatty dairy products;
- animal fat.
How to replace dangerous products
Patients are prohibited from eating high-calorie foods, as such products provoke the development of the disease and exacerbate the effect of the drug.
Harmful products can be replaced with useful ones, suitable in composition:
- White bread can be replaced with rye flour products.
- Sweets and desserts - diabetic berries and desserts.
- Animal fats are vegetable fats.
- Fatty meat products and cheese - low-fat products, avocado.
- Cream is a low-fat dairy product.
- Ice cream - hard cheese, seafood, nuts.
- Beer - dairy products, beef, eggs.
- Sweet soda - beets, carrots, beans.
- Sausage is a dairy product.
Weekly menu forecast
You can create a menu for each day or immediately for a whole week yourself, taking into account what is possible and what is not possible with diabetes. Below is a sample menu for this week.
- Breakfast: salad with cucumbers and cabbage, oatmeal, weak tea.
- Snack: apple or kefir.
- Lunch: vegetable soup, zucchini casserole, compote.
- Snack: cottage cheese casserole.
- Dinner: buckwheat porridge, boiled chicken fillet, juice.
The second day.
- Breakfast: milk pumpkin porridge, jelly.
- Snack: biscuit biscuits.
- Lunch: lean borscht, millet porridge with grilled pollock fillet, green tea.
- Snack: condensed milk.
- Dinner: pumpkin stew, kefir.
The third day.
- Breakfast: hard-boiled eggs, cheese sandwich, coffee.
- Snack: baked apple.
- Lunch: fish soup, buckwheat porridge, steamed chicken meatballs, tomato juice.
- Snack: oranges.
- Dinner: milk rice porridge, boiled shrimp, fermented baked milk.
The fourth day.
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs, cheese sandwich, tea.
- Snack: salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.
- Lunch: cabbage soup, grilled fish, compote.
- Snack: raspberry jelly.
- Dinner: boiled turkey, tomato juice.
- Breakfast: baked pumpkin, apple compote.
- Snack: one apple.
- Lunch: mushroom soup, oatmeal, carrot juice.
- Snack: kefir.
- Dinner: lazy cabbage rolls, condensed milk.
- Breakfast: cottage cheese, coffee.
- Snack: apple juice and biscuits.
- Lunch: soup with chicken pieces and buckwheat, grilled hake, compote.
- Snack: vegetable salad.
- Dinner: steamed beef cutlet, oatmeal, carrot juice.
- Breakfast: pumpkin porridge, green tea.
- Snack: any fruit is allowed.
- Lunch: soup with rice, peppers stuffed with chicken, tomato juice.
- Snack: vegetable salad, cheese sandwich.
- Dinner: buckwheat porridge, boiled cabbage, kefir.
Can eat six times. But the main thing is that the last meal is not more than three hours before bedtime.
Diet therapy for diabetes is not difficult, but necessary. The list of allowed products is rather large, so the diet will not be monotonous. The main thing to understand is that a healthy diet when sick is the key to good health and maintaining normal blood sugar levels.